Monday, March 26, 2012

Toddler-Lite AKA Adventures in Kitten-Hood

I have decided having a kitten is like toddler-lite. I have said things in the last few months that as the mother of a 19 year old I would never say again.

Things like, “No you cannot chew on the charger.” Or “Stop chewing on the charger. It’s plugged in and you are going to get electrocuted.” Or “No, you can’t sleep on the kitchen counter.” Yes, I have actually had to “child proof” the myriad of chargers in this house. I’m just glad we didn’t have all of these chargers when I actually did have a toddler in the house. As it was, the human-child toddler managed to cut the cord to my sewing machine in half while I was less than 6 feet away from him looking at the hem I had just sewn.

I have also discovered that kittens are thieves. At least this one is. If it is shiny, it is fair game. Paper clips, necklaces, and don’t even get me started on twist ties. Twist tie makes must infuse the plastic with some sort of pheromone because if I open something with a twist tie anywhere in the package Pippa has stolen the thing before I have even realized it is there.

Don’t even expect to work on a project with small parts or needing a large workspace. Small parts? See above, they are gone. Need a large workspace? Well, she needs a nap, right now and right there! How can such a tiny thing take up so much room?

Oh, they are also sneaky, and they can move like the wind. I have opened closet or bedroom doors quickly slipped through and closed the door thinking I have thwarted her efforts to get in only to hear a forlorn mewing a few minutes later because she was trapped. What is she? Invisible? I didn’t even see her going in!

Also, like toddlers, she seems to think my food is her food. Why? She has food. Her very own food, with her very own dish, but that’s not good enough. She wants mine…Always. Did you know that cats like oatmeal? Me neither.

Of course, after she drives you completely crazy she comes up and curls her little self behind your crooked knees and makes herself a little nest and goes to sleep. They are so cute when they are sleeping.

No comments: