Saturday, February 25, 2012

I'm so, so sorry

A few months ago, September 1st to be exact, we closed on schedule for the house I was so panicky about. The last few months have been spent moving in and painting and planning and painting and yard work and painting. And did I mention painting? We have painted almost every room in the house, and we love it!

Part of the fun has been planning all the things we want to do to make the house ours. This is something we have never been able to do since we have always lived either in base housing or rentals near the base where we lived. Now that we have our own home we have had a blast doing whatever we want to our home.

There are many things we would like to do, and nothing we have to do because the man who built this house did a great job. We want to do things like finish the basement, put up and backsplash and turn the second kitchen into a den/study. Yes, you read that right. We have 2 kitchens. Right next to each other. The other weird thing is that off of that second kitchen there is a bathroom/laundry room that has two doors… one into the kitchen, and one—Into the master bathroom. So, side by side are 2 kitchens and 2 bathrooms.

Today, while contemplating my lack of a broom closet it occurred to me that the space behind the door connecting the 2 bathrooms in the master bathroom would make a great broom closet. Right off of the laundry. We would need to turn the regular door into a pocket door, and half a wall built, but I think it would be perfect. My son, however, not so much. Guess why. No really. Guess why my 18 year old son does not think I should have a broom closet built…Money. He thinks it would be a waste of money. This is my son who all through high school when talking about what kind of car he wants did not talk about some fast sports car or a powerful, cool truck. All he cared about was that the car had good gas mileage. Really. I think my son has been possessed by a 45 year old CPA.

I write all of this to apologize. I sincerely apologize to the future Mrs. Brendan. If you want to do something that is beyond what is actually needed, really needed, not just a convenience or nice looking, you are going to have your work cut out for you. On the bright side, he will probably be a millionaire.

1 comment:

Michael (DH) said...

He will only be a millionaire if he actually gets a job.