Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Breakfast with the President-Dodged the Bullet

I had breakfast with the president last week, and despite all of my nervousness it went very well. They should change it to "Mini Town Hall Meeting With the President" as the breakfast portion of the meeting was more of an afterthought.

First let me say that this the first time I have actually met and spoken to the president of our company, and I must say I was impressed. This is actually a very intelligent man, and he definitely has a passion for the business.

I arrived at the meeting place almost an hour early since I didn't know what to expect for traffic, so I had all that time to get my nerves in a tight little ball. I don't like change. I like routine. I am perfectly happy to go to work and do the same thing over and over. The more routine, the better. I walked into the room, and there was a sort of a "round table" set up. While we were chitchatting I mentioned my gag order to the assistant. That was when I found out I was sitting to one chair away from where the president was going to sit. I knew I sat in the wrong chair. Now I am going to have to talk.

The meeting went very well, and he was very informative. He shared information with us on how the company was changing and growing, and he asked for our input and questions. I even managed to speak around the lump in my throat, and I didn't sound ridiculous, I think.

Best of all, afterwards I went back to work, and it wasn't to pick up my last paycheck. (Insert cheers from boss here.)

No comments: