Friday, June 4, 2010

A Belated Memorial Day Tribute: Through the Eyes of a Child

Waaay back in 1998 when Brendan was in preschool he had his first official lesson on Memorial Day. He came home that day very excited telling me how his daddy is a hero. Curious, and wanting to know his thoughts, I asked him, "Oh yeah, how come?"

His answer? "'Cuz my daddy was in the 'golf war', and he whacked that ball right out of there!"

Oh to be a child where the only struggle you know of is the war of winning a ball game.

Thank you to all the veterans who gave their lives, so that my child would not even be able to comprehend the idea of war...so that my child would grow up in a safe place, and not in a war torn country with violence on the streets right outside of his home like so many other children around the world do.

No comments: