Monday, March 9, 2009

My Fish Are on Crack

So, a couple of weeks ago I decided I wanted a betta. Don't know why, other than they are pretty, but I wanted a betta. After dinner one night, since we were on that side of town, my anti-shopping husband, being drugged with some awesome chorizo and chicken fajitas, agreed to go look at the pet store.

Since I am the anti-anti-shopper, I couldn't just look at the bettas, I had to look at everything. Great. Wonderful idea. While deeply pondering every item in the pet store I came across a fish I had never seen before, glofish. These are awesome little "freaky" fish. They are actually zebra danios that have been genetically altered, not dyed, altered by splicing the genes of coral or squid with the fish. They were originally engineered to help detect toxic water since they glow when in contact with toxins. They are neon colored and slightly larger than a neon tetra. Very cute. These are like the perfect fish. Saltwater colors, no saltwater hassles. I had to have them.

After discovering the glofish, I went home, empty handed. But not for long. Soon I had ordered an aquarium and all the fixin's. A few days later I went back to the pet store and walked out with some live plants. Still no glofish. These little oddities of nature have to live.

A few days later I went out and walked out with 5 red and orange glofish and 1 indigo betta. Voila, a faux salt water fish tank. While watching my new little pets I have discovered that bettas swim very slowly--like a feather drifting on the wind. Glofish, however, swim very, very fast, like little fish hummingbirds. I do believe they are on crack or uppers or meth or whatever makes you fidgety. They also beat the betta to the food, so I sit there and watch the food until I am sure the betta isn't going to starve to death.

Oh, and contrary to popular belief, these fish get along great with my betta. There has been no nipping of fins, and no flaring of gills, except when the betta catches his own reflection in the glass. Which is when I learn that not only are my glofish on drugs, but my betta is suicidal.

Ella

No comments: